1.10.2012

Sta-ta-ta-tistics

Try saying that 5 times fast.

This is my husband. I love him, and he loves math (and me). 


He started his new job today and I'm so excited for him! He will be tutoring algebra and statistics at Ology for college students taking the BYU independent study online classes. 

"Statistics? That's boring. Therefore he must be boring." 

No, actually you're wrong (no one has actually said that, but I'm prepared with a rebuttal). Aaron has the most colorful personality of anyone I've ever met. So does my statistics professor.
For example, on the first day of his teaching career my professor tries to say "statistics" and propels the gum from his mouth and it finds a landing space on a students forehead, and stays there. Anti-boring. 

Instead of trying to explain statistics, I'll just quote some famous people:

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."


-Mark Twain



"To understand God's thoughts we must study statistics, for these are the measure of His purpose."


-Florence Nightingale


What the junk? The only way to understand the true meaning and value of statistics we must... find the average of these two quotes!!!


Mark Twain quote + Florence Nightingale quote = subjectivity
                            2


Oh well, I tried. 
I guess that's what happens when you try to quantify qualitative data. 

But seriously, almost all the information that you come into contact with on a daily basis involves statistics. It's actually a very interesting field of study and Aaron is going to be a great statistician! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment