3.09.2012

Chocolate Avocado Mini-tortes

Oh She Glows Avocado Mousse




Mmmm.

I usually use my mini cupcake tin to make bit-sized versions of this dessert.

They are just plain amazing. Sometimes I need a little pick-me-up when I get home from work and these are perfect. Aaron enjoys them as well, so they have been 'man-approved.' The room-temperature texture is like melted chocolate, or pudding, and the frozen texture is a smooth, creamy ice cream.

I can read your mind right now, and you are thinking "No way am I trying a chocolate fudge made from avocados."

I know this because I said the same thing. It took me a few months before I decided to man-up and try them.

I'm so glad I did.

Sometimes when I'm eating them I get a faint taste of green, but it completely depends on the avocados you use and the intensity of the chocolate (milk chocolate vs. dark chocolate).

Remember a while back I talked about the importance of healthy fats and fertility? Well, these little darlings have tons of good fats. The crust is mostly made of walnuts (or almonds, or pecans) which are full of healthy fats, and the mousse is almost completely up of avocado (which not only has monounsaturated fatty acids, but it also has a lot of fiber!). Plus, pure cocao powder is known to be an aphrodisiac.

I think it would be appropriate to rename these little guys 'fertility tortes.'

Hmm, maybe not.

Raw Chocolate Avocado Mini-tortes

Crust*
Adapted from Chocolate Covered Katie

1/2 cup walnuts, pecans, or almonds
2/3 cup pitted dates (I get mine from Winco)
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2-3 T cocoa powder (or cocao powder)
optional: a pinch of salt

Blend all the ingredients, using a food processor, Magic Bullet, etc. It helps if you start with the nuts, vanilla, cocoa, and salt FIRST, and then add the dates. Press into the bottom of a spring-form pan, or a cupcake tin. Place in freezer while you make the mousse.

Chocolate Avocado Mousse
Adapted from Oh She Glows

2 cups avocado flesh (approx 3 small avocados), pitted and scooped out
1/3 cup almond milk (you can also use rice, coconut, or dairy)
1/2 cup liquid sweetener (maple syrup, agave nectar, honey)
1 tbsp smooth peanut butter (or other nut butter)
1 tbsp arrowroot powder or cornstarch
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup + 2 tbsp chocolate chips, melted
1/4 cup cocoa powder, sifted if clumpy

Place all mousse ingredients (except chocolate chips) into food processor. Process until smooth. In a small bowl, melt your chocolate chips in the microwave and scoop melted chocolate into food processor mixture. Process until smooth.
Remove crust from freezer and scoop this mousse on top of crust. Smooth out as much as possible and then place in the freezer for 2 hours to firm (shorter if you are making mini tortes in a cupcake tin).
Once firm, remove from freezer and allow to sit on the counter for about 5-10 minutes before serving chilled. Place leftover torte in the freezer wrapped and placed in a seal container.
Note that this torte should be served chilled as it gets soft at room temperature.

*Alternative Crust:
2 cups pecans
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2 tbsp coconut oil (other light taste oil may work)
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp kosher salt

In a food processor, pulse the pecans until crumbly. Be careful not to over process them as you still want them a bit chunky. Now add in the rest of the crust ingredients and pulse until just mixed. Scoop mixture onto prepared pan and press down firmly and evenly with slightly wet fingers or a spatula. Pop into freezer to set while making the mousse.

DISCLAIMER: "Healthy" does not mean "low-calorie." I'd say the majority of foods that Aaron and I eat are high in calories. However, they are high in essential nutrients, which is what I'm aiming for when I make healthy foods. I don't have the exact caloric content of these, but I'd say they're at least 100 calories each (mini cupcake size). I don't make healthy treats because I want to reduce most of the calories, I make them so they are beneficial in some way and not just empty calories.

    7 comments:

    1. Will these come out cleanly from a cupcake tin, or should I use muffin cups?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. They come out pretty easily once they are frozen, but it might be an easier clean up to put them in muffin cups. Especially if they start to thaw.

        Delete
    2. I love your beautiful Tortes. You have an amazing talent.

      ReplyDelete
    3. I want to try these again using just 2 avocados instead of 3. They were a bit too green for me, but they have potential.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Alicia, that is sooo good to know! I've made it a few times and I have that it helps to give each avocado a taste-test before adding. Some have a wonderful neutral flavor, and some taste a lot like green veggies. You can also add more melted chocolate, I did that once. I hope the second batch tastes just how you like it!

        Delete