6.17.2013

Father's Day Gift


Aaron came from a home where children were read to and books were highly valued.

His mom said some of her best memories were laying on the bed with all her kids reading their favorite books. It didn't matter the broad range of ages, they all cuddled up together and listened. Today, Aaron is an avid reader and loves to spend his time reading fantasy and sci-fi, as well as a healthy dose of non-fiction :)

I also came from a home where reading was a favorite parent-child bonding activity. My mom would read the Boxcar Children, Anne of Green Gables, and Little House on the Prairie to me and my siblings.

Aaron and I both loved being read to and want our children to have the same experience.

I really wanted to find an activity that would be reserved just for Aaron and our baby. I first thought of infant massage, but Aaron didn't seem too excited about that. I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier, but reading will be the perfect activity for Aaron to bond with our baby! Especially at night when he is home from work/school and just wants to relax and unwind.

I decided start a collection of children's books as a first Father's Day gift. In preparation I read the book Baby Read-Aloud Basics which outlines the basics of reading to baby from birth on. This got me really excited, plus it gives a list of the best books for babies during different stages of development.

I bought some of Aaron's favorite children's books as well as some books from the list in Read-Aloud Basics. I bought most of the books for under $4 at various consignment stores, and the rest I bought used on Amazon.

I can't say enough good things about reading to your infants and children. It is the foundation for language and reading skills.
Let me repeat that: It is the FOUNDATION of language and reading skills!

Why is reading so important?
  • Becoming a good reader is not so much about being able to sound out words as it is the comprehension of words. When you read to a child they are learning the meaning and context of words.
  • Books contain words that are not usually used in everyday speech: i.e. "gloomy," "stumble," and "mischief." Being exposed to unfamiliar words helps build a more advanced vocabulary for later reading and language skills.
  • Children learn about intonation, grammar, and other speech skills. Especially when read rhymes and rhythmic passages.
  • There are many other benefits that I won't mention, but I highly recommend reading Baby Read-Aloud Basics to learn more about the benefits of reading to infants and children.




I started this collection of books for Aaron so that he can create a ritual with our baby, a ritual that not only helps them create a special bond, but helps set a strong foundation for future language and reading skills: One of the best things that any parent can do for their children.

What are some of your favorite children's books? Any suggestions for adding to our collection?

No comments:

Post a Comment