12.29.2014

Happy New Year!

When I was younger I would complain that I was so busy and that I couldn't wait until I was a grown up and was out of school so I could "relax." I couldn't understand why adults would chuckle and pat me on the back. Now I understand. Life gets busier and busier the older you get. I don't understand how it works, but that's just the way it is. I thought that once I was out of college and not working I would have plenty of time to blog. I laugh at my naivety.

Today I decided it would be a good time to catch everyone up on our year as a family. Here are the biggest things that have happened this year:

3 | Welcome to the "Real World"
Aaron graduated from BYU in April and accepted a job with The Hartford in Hartford, CT. We are currently renting but are thinking about buying a house. We started the process of looking for a house and were astounded at the amount of property tax you pay in Connecticut ($500/year for your car?WHAT?). We've had to factor in that property taxes will cost about 1/3 of our monthly mortgage payment. We're trying to decide if we'd like to make that investment or wait to buy a house when we move to a more permanent situation.



2 |  We've been bitten by the travel bug
If there is one thing we've done a lot of this year, it's traveling. Sawyer has been on 6 plane rides in his short life, and has traveled by car thousands of miles. It started with a road trip across the country, where we stopped at many cool towns along the way. Within a week of arriving in Connecticut, we packed up again and drove to Washington D.C. where we took a tour of the U.S. Capitol and went to one of the Smithsonian museums. Then we drove to Williamsburg, VA where we explored beaches and historical sites. On our way home we went to Chinctoteague Island and enjoyed the nature hikes and beautiful beaches. During the summer we also went to Vermont (one of our favorite states!), Utah/Idaho for my brother's wedding, and then to NYC. During the fall we stayed with our friends in New Hampshire and our latest trip was to McCall, ID for Christmas with Aaron's family. 
Needless to say we are taking a break from our vacations :)



1 |  Job 1:21
"...the Lord gave, and the Lord hath taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord."
A week after moving to Connecticut Aaron and I found out we were expecting our second child! It was planned and we were so excited for Sawyer to have a sibling so close in age. However, at an ultrasound at 9 weeks the Dr. found no heartbeat and declared it a missed miscarriage. I had a D&C a week later and we tried to move on with the empty space in our hearts. It took some time before I was ready to try again, but that time came and I am now 10 weeks pregnant! At an ultrasound 3 weeks ago they found a very strong, steady heartbeat which is a good sign that this pregnancy will be healthy.


We are due in July, so Sawyer and the baby will be 2 years apart. It is still hard to think that if I hadn't had a miscarriage I would be due in less than 3 weeks! It's especially hard to think about right now when I'm feeling sick and exhausted and it seems that the first trimester will never be over.


It has been an exciting year for us, full of bittersweet moments. We are constantly recognizing the importance of family relationships, especially our marital relationship. Being so far away from family has made us closer in ways we wouldn't have experienced living in Utah.


3 comments:

  1. How exciting you are expecting #2!!!! I am sure Sawyer will be a great big brother. Thanks for the update!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post!!! Congratulations on baby #2 especially!! I am excited for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, congratulations! We are so excited for you guys! I am so sorry about your miscarriage. That is heartbreaking. You are such a good example of strength and faith during trials.

    ReplyDelete