7.30.2012

Week 3

Sugar is now out of my diet for good (at least for the next 6 weeks).

This next week I am still focusing on no fruit or breads with added sugar. I had one slip up this week; we were invited to Sunday lunch by a neighbor that Aaron visits frequently. They served fresh cantaloupe and since they didn't seem like the type that would quite understand my sugar-fast, I decided to have a couple chunks. Other than that, no sugar.

Feelings/Frustrations:
We helped a family move and clean their house a month ago and yesterday they returned our boxes and brought some treats. They looked really good. It took everything I had to just sit and watch Aaron enjoy them while I sat and imagined how wonderful they tasted. That only lasted a few minutes and then I moved on to other things.
Before I started the sugar-fast I had really bad joint-pain in my left shoulder and fingers. It was so bad that I could barely lift it or rotate it in anyway. I first thought it was because I usually sleep on my left side, but after changing sides on the bed I was still having pain. I decided I would go to the doctor and see what was wrong, but then I heard from a friend that her dad had the same thing. His doctor prescribed getting rid of sugar to manage the joint pain. Once he got rid of sugar his body was as good as new! I was kind of hoping that after getting rid of sugar that my pain would go away, and it has. I have absolutely no pain in my left shoulder and I have only had a little discomfort in my fingers. I found this explanation, and it seems to sum it up pretty well.

My Lifesavers:

  • Breakfast burritos
  • Heirloom garden tomatoes (oh holy delicious)
  • Plain yogurt with cinnamon and vanilla extract
  • Peanut butter mixed with a little bit of cocoa powder
  • Oatmeal with cinnamon and coconut milk
Sarah Wilson gives some tips on how to curb those nasty cravings, she calls them the 9 Cs:
  1. Cacao nibs
  2. Chia seeds
  3. Chai tea [I use naturally caffeine-free Bengal tea with some coconut milk]
  4. Cheese
  5. Cinnamon
  6. Coconut water (naturally sweet, but with no sugar)
  7. Chicken, deli shaved
  8. Coffee [none for me]
  9. Coconut oil
I can bear testimony of these foods. I have put cinnamon, coconut milk, and vanilla on almost everything and it has a wonderful 'sweet' flavor without actually having any sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment