9.17.2012

Apple Butter

 I discovered apple butter a few years ago when I was living at home. I only made a few jars because I was afraid it would taste like a thick, overly-cooked applesauce.
The thing about apple butter is that something magical happens while it is slowly cooking in the crock pot: it takes on a caramel-y flavor along with a texture that is creamy and smooth. The other amazing thing is that you don't even have to add sugar. I added a little maple syrup for flavor, but you could easily get away with no added sugar.
Apple butter is wonderful on toast, oatmeal, yogurt, pancakes, crepes, pretty much everything.
The other wonderful fruit butter is pumpkin butter, which I will be making later on this fall :) for now, here is my recipe for apple butter.


Applesauce
5 lbs apples
3-4 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 cup apple juice
dash of cinnamon (optional)

Peel, core, and slice apples. Place in slow cooker and add lemon, apple juice, and cinnamon. Cook on low for 6 hours.

Apple Butter
Stir applesauce and add 3 tbsp maple syrup. Cook on high for another 2-3 hours. After the mixture is cool, place in blender and puree until smooth. Pour in jars and let cool in refrigerator overnight before freezing.


Sources:
The Kitch | How to Make Fruit Butter in the Slow Cooker
Simply Recipes | Homemade Applesauce

No comments:

Post a Comment