9.12.2012

The Big Twenty-Two



This year my birthday was on Monday, which leaves very little chance for celebration--especially since I am on campus from 8am until 7pm. Blah. 
Instead of celebrating it on Monday, we decided to celebrate it on the weekend. Which wasn't actually that exciting anyway, but I have to say it was a birthday I will remember :)
For my birthday weekend I decided to take advantage of the fall season and freeze some peaches and applesauce. Kind of strange, but cooking is my therapy. I get to use my hands to create something and it helps me de-stress and forget about everything, even if it's just for an hour or two.





After buying over 20 lbs of apples and having no tools to can any of them, I had to get a little creative... First I let them soak in a vinegar-water mixture, and then I started peeling (not peeing, which is what I almost wrote). I tossed them in the crock pot and let it do it's thing.

I made a ton of applesauce and apple butter, and along the way I dehydrated a few. Apple chips = amazing snack.

I thoroughly enjoyed myself creating recipes and relaxing all day. Aaron went on a hike with the youth in our ward and when he got home (over 12 hours later) he was sore, burnt, and tired. I was tired, sticky, and content, so we watched a movie and called it a night.

With applesauce coming out of the wazoo, I decided it would be appropriate to make an applesauce cake.
I topped it with vanilla bean cream cheese icing and drizzled it with a bit of apple butter.

Holy Moses, twas delicious.


2 comments:

  1. can we be roommates again? I'll cook for you and you'll cook for me. 'Twill be awesomespice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes. yes we can :) Aaron probably needs a break anyway. He has been my dutiful roommate for 4 semesters now. Are you still in American Fork? We need to get together. Seriously, I mean it.

      Delete