9.08.2012

The Harvest




Aaron and I planted a garden last spring and we have finally begun to see the fruits of our labors. We have a zucchini plant that produces like nobody's business (it has seriously produced at least 20 lbs of zucchini). We also have a pie pumpkins, tomatillo, strawberries, raspberries, sweet peppers, and carrots! We are pretty proud of our little garden and we have saved quite a bit of money in the long run. 
Here's a website that explains how much you can save if you garden. Pretty impressive.
Besides saving money, you also get non-GMO, organic produce that tastes better than any grocery store fruit or vegetable. 







For the fruits we couldn't grow in our little garden, I found some local farmers that were selling their produce for dirt cheap (well, almost). I looked on Craigslist and KSL and found 22 lbs of Gala apples for $10, and 22 lbs of peaches for $20. Both are locally grown and taste amazing. This weekend I will be spending my time making applesauce, apple butter, and frozen peaches. I'm about half way through and our kitchen resembles a very large apple pie; it is very sticky, full of apples, and it smells delicious.

I will post my favorite recipes sometime next week, as well as post an update on the sugar-fast (yes, I'm still going strong), but for now I'm heading back to the kitchen.

Oh goodness, I love fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment