10.12.2012

Chicken Apple Stew



Aaron and I found an advertisement on KSL for free organic apples! We left right after my last class and picked about 50 lbs of apples. We have been waking up every morning at 6 am to preserve apple juice and apple sauce, and when we get home we work until about midnight. After 4 days we are done; we are so proud of how we are filling up our little food storage. Aaron started cooking apples early this morning and I woke up to an ethereal condensation accumulating on our windows. I am so completely in love with mornings like this.

The misty windows and smell of apples inspired me to make a stew for dinner tonight. I adapted the recipe from one of my favorite cookbooks, Simple Food for Busy Families. It has chicken, sweet potatoes, apples, rosemary, and apple cider. Perfect for a chilly evening.




Roasted Chicken Apple Stew

1 32-oz carton of chicken broth
1 Tbsp organic chicken bouillon (I love Better Than Bouillon)
1/2 cup apple cider or apple juice
4-6 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp rosemary
1 sweet onion, peeled and quartered
1-2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
1 lb carrots, peeled and diced
1 lb baby potatoes, washed and halved (I used peeled baking potatoes and they tasted great)
2 large apples, cored and sliced
1 lb chicken breasts or thighs (dark meat adds flavor to stews)
1 tsp. thyme
salt and pepper

Add chicken broth, bouillon, apple cider, garlic, and spices to crock pot, stir.
Dump all the vegetables in the liquid and then nestle the chicken in between all the goodness. Cook on low for 7-8 hours.

I skipped Friday Favorites today because I posted a list of my favorite tutorials yesterday, if you are interested in learning more about Photoshop, Illustrator, and design concepts check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment