10.23.2012

Personal Detox

Last week I wrote a post about detoxifying our apartment and promised a post about personal detox.

By the way, don't get grossed out just yet, this post does not contain anything about a colon cleanse...

No, this post is about personal hygiene products.


Being the healthnut that I am, I am just as concerned about what I put on my body as much as what I put in my body. This is why:

Skin absorbs an average of 64% of contaminants

and...

the underarms and genitalia absorb up to 100%.

So, whatever you put on your body will most probably end up in your body. With this in mind, I have attempted to use only products that would also be safe for consumption. If a lotion or soap is toxic to ingest, it probably isn't a good idea to put it on your skin where most of it will be absorbed. 

There are quite a few studies that have proved certain chemicals to be toxic or harmful (sodium lauryl sulphate, fluoride, and BPA) and there are still chemicals that are considered a "mystery," as in some people swear that they are dangerous and other people swear they are completely safe (aluminum in deodorant, phthalates, etc.)

I would rather be on the safe side and avoid the chemicals that are in question.
I'll explain my reasoning using this graph:


In my opinion, it is just safer to use products with natural, non-toxic ingredients.

Stay tuned for my favorite hygiene products as well as recipes for homemade deodorant, shampoo/conditioner, and eye makeup remover!

Good Reads:
Summary of Fluoride
Summary of Sodium Lauryl Sulphate
Click here for an extensive list of toxic substances that are absorbed by the skin, and are also teratogens for pregnant women.

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I'm thinking about trying to make my own deodorant, too! It is scary when you actually think about how well your skin absorbs anything that you put on it. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love my homemade deodorant, it works better than store-bought, which is awesome! And yes, it's scary how much gets absorbed!

      Delete