9.25.2013

Cloth Diaper Momma: Nicole

Hi! I'm Nicole, and this is my handsome husband, Ben. I blog over at The Shea's. Would you like to meet our boy? His name is Jack. He'll melt your heart.
I told you! Isn't he the sweetest?!
I started my blog as a way to keep my family updated on my life in Okinawa while Ben was stationed there with the Marine Corps. Since then, it has become my space to write about our lives, lessons I've learned as a new mom, and share the occasional recipe/healthy eating tip/any other random thing that I feel like blogging about, such as grocery store mayhem. Oh, and Ben does an occasional post too
I'm very excited to be sharing my experience with cloth diapering with you today!! Why did you decide to start cloth diapering? I never, ever imagined I would cloth diaper! My curiosity with it started when a few of my friends told me how much money they saved with it. I was very intimidated by the thought of it and was way too scared to actually commit to putting cloth diapers on my baby registry until these friends showed me the ones they use and told me all their tips/favorites. It made me feel much more confident and actually excited about cloth diapering! I know...weird-excited about diapers?! What kinds of diapers do you use?
I use bumGenius 4.0 and freetime diapers. I love them both! I picked this brand simply because these are the diapers that my friends were having success with...ie, no leaks! That cute little man has already slept 11 straight hours and the 4.0 diaper did its job--he was completely dry in the morning! I love the ease of freetime diapers-the inserts are sewn in, whereas you have to 'stuff' the pockets of the 4.0's. So far I really like them both and will definitely be ordering more from www.cottonbabies.com once they have their next seconds sale (hugely discounted diapers because of an insignificant cosmetic flaw). I have noticed that freetimes are a bit bigger than 4.0's, so it might be better to wait until your baby has chunky legs to start wearing them. How do you like cloth diapering so far? So far I don't have any complaints! Sure, I have to do a load of diapers a day, but I am used to doing laundry every day so it really doesn't bother me-I'm the type that would rather do 1 small load a day than a few huge loads on the weekend. I am so relieved that I am not grossed out by it. I was a little worried that I wouldn't be able to go through with it because of the whole poop factor, but as for now, I have never once thought 'this would be so much easier if only we used disposables'...here's for hoping this doesn't change once he starts solids! What do you love/not love about cloth diapering? I love that it saves money. I love that the diapers are so cute. I love that they keep him dry-the fabric seriously stays dry on his bum-only the inserts are wet! I love that we are not contributing to waste. Hmmm...what's not to love? The only downfall that I can think of is having an extra load of laundry to do a day, but as I said before, I really don't mind doing it! And some people wash theirs every 2/3 days, we just don't have enough diapers to go that long yet. Thanks for reading my thoughts on cloth diapering!

No comments:

Post a Comment