7.08.2012

Oh, Hummus

I first learned about hummus when I was at girls' camp, about 8 years ago (wow, that's a long time ago). To tell you the truth, I didn't really like it.

I tried hummus from the store, and I still didn't care for it. Eventually I tried making it myself, and my feelings were the same.

Poor hummus. It could never impress me enough to finish the whole tub. 

And then everything changed...

I found this recipe from a blogger that seemed to understand my bitter disappointment with hummus. She promised this recipe was different, so I decided I'd give hummus a second chance. I was even careful to halve the recipe just in case it wasn't great. 
I really wish I'd made the whole recipe. Aaron and I ate about half of the jar and my family finished off the rest. My mom and dad both individually asked for the recipe, so here ya go Mom and Dad (and everyone else)!


Hummus
Adapted from Under the High Chair

4 cups (about 2 ½ cans) chick-peas, drained
½ cup tahini
1/3 cup warm water
1/3 cup olive oil
Juice of 3 lemons
4 or more garlic cloves, peeled and germ removed
1 ½ teaspoons salt
1 teaspoons ground cumin seed or 1/2 tsp ground cumin
freshly ground pepper, to taste

Combine chick-peas, tahini, warm water, olive oil, and juice of 1 lemon in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Process until smooth and creamy.
Add garlic, salt, cumin, and pepper to taste, and process to blend. Taste and correct seasoning if necessary. Add more lemon juice to taste. Scrape into storage container and refrigerate until ready to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment